Basketball NWT is proud to partner with Canada Basketball to offer a fantastic youth basketball programming initiative to residents across the NWT! The Steve Nash Youth Basketball Program is a national youth basketball program designed to develop fundamental skills, sportsmanship and a love of the game for basketball. This grassroots initiative supports and empowers community-based recreational groups and facilities, schools and other institutions across Canada in an effort to positively influence youth through basketball. The goal of the program is to allow participants the opportunity to maximize their potential, while promoting the importance of youth basketball as a vehicle to build character, discipline, self-esteem and sportsmanship.
The model for Steve Nash Youth Basketball was established after extensive research of existing community basketball programs from across North America and follows the guidelines of Sport Canada’s Long Term Athlete Development Model. The program is flexible in nature to allow local organizers to adapt the program and implement it in their community while following the principles and philosophies of the program.
To create opportunities across Canada for all children and youth aged 5-17 to:
- Participate in basketball,
- Learn and play basketball, using qualified coaching and programming,
- Learn to compete in a supportive and development-focused environment,
- Improve the “Health of the Nation”.
Committed to the promotion and growth of basketball in Canada, Canada Basketball and Basketball NWT will assist community leaders in the delivery and execution of the Steve Nash Youth Basketball program in their local communities through the League Operations manual, Coach’s manual, Official’s Manual, and Parent’s Guide.
The Steve Nash Youth Basketball Philosophy
- The program is administered by members of the local community and allows for consideration of specific community needs
- The program is designed as a participant-centered, resource supported program administered for youth
- The program’s foundation is the teaching of basketball fundamentals in a fun, positive environment
- The program is designed primarily for boys and girls 5-15. (Younger and older players can participate and modifications can be made at the local level)
- All players receive equal playing and practice time (subject to attendance, discipline, etc.)
- Weekly practice guidelines are no less than one practice for every game
- Team parity is a goal for all leagues (local considerations may be a variable)
- Score keeping and individual statistics are discouraged before the age of 10
Benefits of Steve Nash Youth Basketball
- Member of a philosophically sound, well researched program which addresses a long tern athlete development approach to basketball for children
- Steve Nash reversible jersey for each participant
- Steve Nash basketball for each participant
- SNYB Coaching manual
- Annual free coaching clinic
- Codes of conduct for all involved – “respecting the game”
- National Membership into Canada Basketball
- Basketball NWT membership
- New features every year
- FUN and MORE FUN!
The SNYB program is designed to compliment any new or existing youth basketball program in the Northwest Territories and is a perfect fit for a...
- Local Community Club
- Recreation District
- Parks & Rec Program
- Boys & Girls Clubs
- After-School Drop-In Programs
- School-Based Intramural
- Church-Based Programs
- OR ANYONE INTERESTED IN OFFERING A BASKETBALL PROGRAMMING OPTION IN THEIR COMMUNITY!